Begin Main Content Area


If Congress does not renew federal funding, Pennsylvania’s CHIP will end in the second quarter of 2018.

CHIP is paid for with state and federal funds. Federal funds for Pennsylvania's CHIP ended on Sept. 30, 2017, when Congress failed to pass a CHIP re-authorization. Congress must pass a law to renew federal funds for the program. Pennsylvania will run out of funding for CHIP in the second quarter of 2018. If Congress passes a law to provide federal funds, CHIP will not change. 

Right now, there are no changes to CHIP.
CHIP kids can continue to go to the doctor and the dentist and use their insurance. You should continue to make and keep doctor’s and dentist’s appointments. For those children in low-cost or at-cost CHIP, you should continue to pay your premiums.

What happens next?
The Pennsylvania CHIP office must make plans to end the program if Congress fails to renew federal funding. If the program is ending, you will get a notice at least 30 days before the program end date. That letter will tell you what to do to get other insurance.

Should I renew my child's CHIP?
Yes, if you get a renewal notice, fill it out and send it back. If CHIP continues, you need to complete the renewal to keep your child(ren) enrolled.

What if I need more information?
For up-to-date information on CHIP, visit the website or call 800-986-KIDS, Monday through Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Frequently asked questions

Q. My child is on CHIP. Should we still go to the doctor? Is it okay to make new doctor and dental appointments?
A: Yes, you should continue to use your child’s CHIP coverage for doctor visits, prescriptions, dental and vision care.

Q. My child’s CHIP is due for renewal. Should I still renew?
A: Yes, you should complete your child’s renewal forms and send them back.

Q. My monthly premium is due. Should I still pay it?
A: Yes, you should keep paying your child’s premiums. If you don’t pay the premiums, your child’s coverage will stop.

Q. How will I know if CHIP is ending?
A: If Congress fails to renew federal funding, you will get a notice at least 30 days before the CHIP end date, telling you when CHIP coverage will end and giving you information on how to get other insurance.

Q. What if I need more information?
A. For up-to-date information on  CHIP, visit the website or call 800-986-KIDS, Monday through Friday, between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm.

Q. If CHIP does end, what other health insurance can my child get?
  • (FFM) – You may be able to get coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.  You will get a Special Enrollment Period. That means you can buy insurance even if Open Enrollment has ended. You can buy insurance as early as 60 days before CHIP ends and up to 60 days after CHIP ends.
  • Employer-based coverage – You may be able to get coverage through your job. An employer may help pay the cost of coverage. Ask if you can add your child even though it is not your employer’s open enrollment period.
  • Medical Assistance – CHIP will check to see if your child can get Medical Assistance (MA). If your child can get MA, you will get a notice and an enrollment package in the mail. You may apply for MA at, or call 1-800-986-5437.
Q. Where can I get help if my child needs other insurance?
  • Health Insurance Navigators – Navigators can help you apply, pick a plan and enroll, for free. They are trained and know the rules for and Medicaid. Go to to find help.
  • Plan Comparison Tool 2017 – Pennsylvania – The Plan Comparison Tool can help you find a medical plan. You can look at every plan in your area. Use the tool to find out if you can get help paying for coverage. Go to for more information.
  • Pennsylvania Association of Community Health Centers There are more than 300 community health centers across the state that provide free or low-cost health care for all ages.  Some centers provide dental care and prescription drugs. To find the health center nearest you, call the PA Association of Community Health Centers Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 1-866-944-CARE (2273), or go to for additional information.
Q. How can I urge Congress to pass CHIP reauthorization to renew federal funding?
A: View a draft call-to-action letter at and find contact information to send a letter to your elected official.