So, how do I sign up?
You're ready to apply - great! Before you do, you will need the following information handy to apply:
- Income amounts for your entire household before taxes - this includes income from employment and all other forms of income (for example - social security, pension, workers' compensation, unemployment, child support, etc)
- Social Security Numbers and birthdates for all applicants
- Day care expenses for your household (if any)
- Work transportation expenses for your household (if any)
- Private health insurance information (if you have or had private health insurance in the last 90 days)
Applying for CHIP is easy. You can apply online or by mail in the privacy of your own home.
APPLY ONLINE WITH COMPASS
It's fast and easy!
The online application walks you through all the questions. The applications are submitted immediately and directly; there's no worrying about it getting lost in the mail. And since COMPASS is Pennsylvania's online application system, you can apply for different services with just one application.
First, find a CHIP insurance company in your area. If you apply online, you may not be able to choose from all of the CHIP insurance companies providing coverage in your county. You can also apply with a paper application to any of the CHIP health insurance companies providing coverage in your county by downloading an application now, or by visiting a CHIP insurance company website.
APPLY BY MAIL
Once we have your signed application, you should know within four to six weeks whether your children are eligible for CHIP. Unfortunately, incomplete applications will delay the processing of your application. After you're notified that your child is eligible for CHIP, benefits will usually start on the first day of the next month. For example, if you receive notice on April 15th, benefits would start on May 1st.
To check the status of your application or if you have questions, contact the CHIP health insurance company you applied with.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do you have questions about the CHIP program and how it works? Take a moment to review frequently asked questions.
For additional information find and contact a CHIP health insurance company in your area.