Why is health insurance for children and teens important?
Children who have health insurance generally have better health throughout their childhood and into their teens. They are more likely to:
- Receive needed shots that prevent disease
- Get treatment for recurring illnesses such as ear infections and asthma
- Access preventative care that keeps them healthy
- Get sick less frequently
- Receive the treatment they need when they are sick
- Maintain better attendance and performance at school
Coverage through CHIP provides your kids with all of these valuable advantages. With CHIP, you can put your children in a better position to thrive and grow into healthy adults.
Why are vaccinations important?
Vaccinations are some of the most important tools available for preventing disease, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Vaccinations not only protect our children but also protect the community by reducing the spread of potentially serious diseases.
Most children get their necessary shots during childhood. CHIP encourages all parents to view the recommended vaccination schedule to be sure your kids are up to date. If you find your kids are behind on their vaccinations, you can also read about recommendations for
children who need to catch up on their shots.
Vaccine-preventable diseases have a severe impact, resulting in doctor's visits, hospitalizations and premature deaths. So be sure to keep track of those vaccine schedules, and read more about
preventive pediatric health care (PDF). Visit
VaccinesForLife.com to learn more.
Recommended vaccines are covered with CHIP. Whatï¿½s more, 96% of CHIP parents report they received an appointment for their childï¿½s vaccinations as soon as they wanted.
How does having health insurance improve my child's ability to learn?
Children who have health insurance have a better chance of being healthy. Having health insurance will allow you to give them the medical care needed for them to stay healthy and focus on their studies. Children with health insurance are less likely to miss school because they are sick. By helping them go to school every day ready to learn, you can help boost your child's performance in school today and in the future.
With CHIP, you have a choice of major insurance companies. And no matter which CHIP health insurance company you choose, youï¿½ll get the same quality service and the same great CHIP benefits.
How will having insurance help my child stay healthy?
You'll be able to pick a doctor for your child and see that doctor every time your child gets sick, without having to worry about how you are going to pay for it.
Your kids may even be able to keep visiting the same doctors they see now once theyï¿½re covered with CHIP. Health coverage enables your child to get immunizations and well-child visits required to attend school and play sports. If your child gets sick, you can get prescription medicines to help him or her get better fast. Finally, you won't have to sit for hours in the emergency room when your child has an illness that could be easily treated in your doctor's office. CHIP kids receive periodic health screenings which include health education, nutrition and developmental assessment. CHIP kids also receive hearing tests and newborn hearing screens for early detection of hearing loss which, if left untreated, can lead to communication, speech and learning deficits.
The fact is, children with health care coverage are better prepared to learn in school and better prepared to succeed in life.
CHIP is always there for your kids with quality, comprehensive health insurance coverage for routine doctor visits, prescriptions, dental, eye care and much more.
When surveyed, most CHIP parents see positive health results:
- Overall, nine out of ten parents report satisfaction with their childï¿½s health plan
- 94% of parents report they were able to access urgent care services for their child as soon as necessary
- 92% of parents report they were able to obtain an appointment for their sick child within twenty-four hours
- 96% received an appointment for check-ups and vaccinations as soon as they wanted
- 99% of parents report their child saw the dentist in the last six months
- 93% are pleased with the time doctors spend with their child
- 93% said theyï¿½re pleased with the helpfulness of staff
- 97% of parents report their childï¿½s doctor treats them with respect
- 92% of parents reported it was easy to get care, tests or treatment for their child